It may take up to 20-30 minutes to complete your application. It is recommended to complete your application in one sitting. There is not a "save" feature for you to complete your application later. You may go back and forward while completing the application, but after you click submit, you cannot make any changes to your application.
ISTEP Youth Commission members are voting members of the State Commission on Tobacco Use Prevention and Control. This commission develops policy and provides direction for the tobacco control initiative. The youth that serve on the commission are expected to provide a youth voice to the commission. The commission members join the ISTEP President, and are voting members of the commission. All commission seats are for a 3 year term. If a commission seat is vacant, the seat may be open for election and the member elect will serve out the remainder of the vacated commission seat term. There is a 3 year term seat open to begin the 2019-2020 school year. To be eligible, applicants must be at least a freshman in high school and no older than a high school junior at the time of application.
Applicants need to have access to a computer and the internet. This will be the most common way of communicating with ISTEP members and staff.
Applicants are required to have transportation to/from all meetings.
Guidelines for Commission Members
• Must attend ALL ISTEP Executive Council meetings
• Must attend ALL commission meetings - in person or over the phone
• Must attend the ISTEP Summit
• Have communication with the ISTEP Coordinator Bi-Monthly
• Required to give a report to the ISTEP Executive Council concerning the Commission
• Have regular communication with your Community Partnership or involvement on a local coalition that addresses tobacco use
All commission meetings are held in Des Moines from 10am-12pm on Fridays every other month. There are a total of 6 meetings for the year.